Fisheries and Land Resources


Big Game Licences

For the 2018/19 big game licence draw, applicants must complete the Firearm Safety/Hunter Education Course by December 10, 2017, to be eligible for the big game licence draw. To apply for a big game licence you must be 16 years of age or older by August 31 in the year that the licence is valid.

A person can apply for and receive a Black Bear licence soon after completing the Firearm Safety/Hunter Education Course provided that he/she meets the necessary age requirements and your completed course information is on file with the Wildlife Division.

See Application Forms for more information about big game licences.

Small Game Licences

Small game licences are available at numerous sporting goods, hardware or general stores throughout Newfoundland and Labrador, or at Government Services Centres.

Resident hunters must provide their driver's licence or photo ID number, available from the Motor Registration Division. Other forms of identification, such as MCP, are permissible if a driver's licence/photo ID number is not available.

Since the 2008-09 hunting and trapping season stainless steel wire has not been permitted for small game snaring on the island. Snarers must use approved snare wire, 22-gauge brass or or six-strand picture cord, attached to a firm anchor, for snaring. These changes will assist with ongoing efforts to mitigate the accidental capture of Newfoundland marten and other non-target species throughout the Island of Newfoundland.

See Regulation Summary for Small Game for more details, or consult the Hunting and Trapping Guide.

Migratory Game Bird Permits

Migratory game bird hunting falls under the jurisdiction of Environment Canada's Canadian Wildlife Service. The federal Migratory Game Bird Hunting (MGBH) Permits are available for purchase online opens new window and through Canada Post Offices opens new window and some independent vendors. The MGBH permit is valid throughout Canada.

For more information on Migratory Game Bird Hunting in Newfoundland and Labrador, consult the Newfoundland and Labrador Hunting and Trapping Guide, or the Canadian Wildlife Service's Migratory Birds Hunting Regulations Summaries opens new window.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, contact:
Canadian Wildlife Service
6 Bruce Street, Mount Pearl, NL, A1N 4T3
Telephone: (709) 772-5585
Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.